Are you tired of the same old beaches in Tampa and looking for a more refreshing and enchanting getaway? Look no further! Natural springs near Tampa are Florida’s hidden gems, offering beautiful crystal-clear waters, vibrant surroundings, and a variety of activities for everyone in the family to enjoy.
As a long-time resident of Tampa, I have had the pleasure of visiting many of the beautiful springs that surround our city. From kayaking down crystal-clear waters to spotting gentle manatees in their natural habitat, exploring these hidden gems has become a beloved pastime of mine. I am excited to share my experiences and insights with fellow nature enthusiasts and travelers looking to discover the wonders of the springs near Tampa.
These natural springs welcome you to their serene environments, perfect for a relaxing day away from the city or an adventurous weekend getaway. Swimming, hiking, picnicking, and wildlife watching are just some of the great outdoor activities you’ll find at these popular springs. Best of all, these destinations are just a short drive away from Tampa, making them perfect for a day trip or a weekend escape.
From the iconic Weeki Wachee Springs with its infamous mermaid show to the enchanting Rainbow Springs, you have plenty of options to explore near Tampa. Each spring offers its own unique charm and attractions, ensuring that each visit will create lasting memories for years to come. So, grab your swimsuits, pack a picnic, and get ready to experience Florida’s natural beauty at its finest!
Best Natural Springs Near Tampa
Here’s a quick list of all the springs near Tampa we’ve created for you for reference – make sure to read on to learn about each in more detail!
|Distance from Tampa
|Weeki Wachee Springs
|Approximately 56 mi
|6131 Commercial Way, Spring Hill, FL 34606
|Approximately 87 mi
|19158 SW 81st Place Road, Dunnellon, FL 34432
|Approximately 102 mi
|400 E Kelly Park Rd, Apopka, FL 32712
|Approximately 118 mi
|12087 SW US Highway 27, Fort White, FL 32038
|Crystal Springs Preserve
|Approximately 32 mi
|1609 Crystal Springs Rd, Zephyrhills, FL 33540
|Approximately 23 mi
|3932 Lithia Springs Rd, Lithia, FL 33547
Weeki Wachee Springs – Where Mermaids Meet Adventure
Weeki Wachee Springs, located near Tampa Bay, is a must-visit natural spring in Florida. With its crystal-clear waters and enchanting surroundings, it offers a unique experience for visitors of all ages.
- Mermaid shows: Be captivated by the famous Weeki Wachee mermaids as they perform their underwater acts in a one-of-a-kind theater.
- Buccaneer Bay: Dive into a family-friendly water park complete with thrilling slides, a lazy river, and opportunities for fun and relaxation.
- Wildlife tours: Explore the park’s scenic beauty and keep an eye out for manatees, otters, and other fascinating wildlife species.
Rainbow Springs – A Magical Haven
Rainbow Springs, located just a short drive from Tampa, is a natural gem with a rich history and stunning beauty. Its sapphire waters and lush surroundings create a magical atmosphere that will leave you in awe.
- Tubing: Float along the crystal-clear water of Rainbow Springs for a peaceful and enjoyable ride through the picturesque landscape.
- Snorkeling: Discover a vibrant underwater world filled with turtles, fish, and other captivating wildlife.
- Hiking: Wander through well-maintained trails that offer breathtaking views and an opportunity to immerse yourself in nature’s wonders.
Rock Springs – Nature’s Playground
Rock Springs, though not mentioned in the search results, is a hidden treasure worth exploring. With its refreshing water and serene atmosphere, it provides a delightful escape from the hustle and bustle of everyday life.
- Swimming: Take a dip in the unique spring-fed, free-flowing swimming area and cool off in the crystal-clear waters.
- Kelly Park: Enjoy the amenities of Kelly Park, including a full-service concession, picnic pavilions, and playgrounds for a day of family fun.
- Camping: Set up camp at one of the various campsites available and immerse yourself in nature, making lasting memories under the starlit sky.
Lesser Known Springs Near Tampa
Ichetucknee Springs – Nature’s Playground
Ichetucknee Springs, nestled in Fort White, is a true paradise for nature enthusiasts. With its pristine waters and picturesque surroundings, this spring is a must-visit destination for those seeking a memorable outdoor experience.
- Plunge into Crystal-Clear Waters: Dive into the crystal-clear waters of the Ichetucknee River and enjoy swimming, snorkeling, and tubing in a refreshing escape from the Florida heat.
- Explore Scenic Trails: Wander along the park’s trails and immerse yourself in the stunning beauty of the surrounding forests and meadows. Keep an eye out for otters, turtles, and a variety of bird species.
- Preserve Nature’s Delicacy: Ichetucknee Springs State Park is committed to preserving the natural ecosystem. By respecting the park’s rules and regulations, you contribute to the protection of this remarkable environment for generations to come.
Crystal Springs Preserve – A Hidden Gem
Nestled in the charming town of Zephyrhills, Crystal Springs Preserve offers a tranquil and picturesque setting for outdoor enthusiasts. From its sparkling waters to its lush trails, this hidden gem is an oasis of natural beauty.
- Dive into Crystal-Clear Waters: The spring-fed lake beckons you to dive in and enjoy a refreshing swim. Kayaking and paddleboarding are also popular activities, allowing you to glide through the peaceful waters and soak in the serene surroundings.
- Explore Scenic Trails: Take a leisurely stroll or embark on an adventurous hike along well-maintained trails that wind through verdant forests and wetlands. Discover native plants and encounter playful squirrels along the way.
- Promote Education and Conservation: Crystal Springs Preserve offers educational programs and interactive exhibits that promote awareness and understanding of the unique ecosystem. Your visit supports ongoing conservation efforts and helps preserve the ecological integrity of this remarkable preserve.
Lithia Springs – A Tranquil Retreat
Nestled in the charming town of Lithia, Lithia Springs Regional Park is a hidden treasure that offers a serene and rejuvenating experience. With its picturesque spring-fed lake and scenic trails, this park is a perfect retreat for those seeking relaxation and immersion in nature.
- Refreshing Spring-Fed Lake: Take a dip and cool off in the crystal-clear, spring-fed lake. Swim, snorkel, or simply float away your cares, enjoying the tranquil ambiance and reconnection with nature.
- Wander Scenic Trails: Explore the park’s well-maintained trails that wind through the surrounding woodlands. Towering trees, vibrant wildflowers, and glimpses of wildlife create a captivating backdrop for a peaceful hike or leisurely stroll.
- Picnic and Relaxation: Spread out a blanket under the shade of a tree and savor a picnic lunch while listening to the soothing sounds of nature. Lithia Springs Regional Park offers a serene atmosphere for unwinding, reading, or simply basking in the beauty of the great outdoors.
These natural springs near Tampa offer an array of activities and features that cater to different interests and preferences. Whether you seek exhilarating adventures, peaceful relaxation, or an opportunity to reconnect with nature, each spring provides a unique experience that will leave you with unforgettable memories. So, pack your sunscreen, grab your camera, and embark on an exploration of these remarkable natural wonders.
Recreational Activities at the Springs
At the natural springs near Tampa, you can enjoy various water sports and activities, such as swimming, snorkeling, diving, kayaking, and canoeing. Make time for some fun in the sun with these outdoor experiences. For example, take a trip to Lithia Springs, just 30 minutes from Tampa, and immerse yourself in the refreshing swimming area that provides cool, fresh spring water. If you’re into more adventurous activities, grab your snorkel gear and explore the underwater world at one of the many springs in the area.
Hiking and Exploration
Expand your outdoor adventure with activities like hiking and exploration. Most of these springs near Tampa offer scenic trails where you can stretch your legs and be one with nature. Don’t forget your camera as the opportunity for photography arises; capture images of Florida’s native wildlife, beautiful landscapes, and unique natural formations.
Relaxation and Scenic Spots
If you’re looking to unwind and relax, natural springs are the perfect place to do just that. Enjoy a tranquil day of tubing down a lazy river, or find a peaceful spot for a picnic with friends or family. Pop open a foldable chair, read your favorite book, and soak up the sun as you take in the gorgeous surroundings.
Remember to make the most of your visit to these springs near Tampa, but don’t forget to respect the natural environment and leave it as pristine as you found it, so future generations can enjoy the beauty and recreational activities too.
Wildlife and Conservation
While exploring springs near Tampa, you’re likely to encounter Florida manatees. These gentle giants are known to frequent springs, such as Crystal River and Homosassa Springs, where they enjoy the constant water temperatures during the colder months. As a visitor, it’s important to respect the manatees’ space and always follow guidelines to not disturb them in their natural habitat. Your responsible behavior contributes to their conservation.
Fish and Turtles
The springs are also home to many fish and turtle species, including largemouth bass, bluegill, and the Florida softshell turtle. Places like Rainbow Springs and Silver Springs State Park offer unique underwater observatories, giving you a fantastic opportunity to observe these creatures up close. Remember that it’s essential to respect their space and avoid feeding them, as it can lead to an imbalance in the ecosystem.
Gators and Bears
Lastly, the springs around Tampa are habitats for alligators and occasionally bears. For instance, Silver Springs State Park is known for its American alligator population. As you enjoy the springs and surrounding nature parks, always be aware of your surroundings and follow park guidelines to ensure your safety and the well-being of these incredible animals.
Florida State Parks
Camping and Accommodations
If you’re looking for a getaway near Tampa, several state parks can offer a home away from home. At Weeki Wachee Springs State Park, you can enjoy a day of water fun followed by a comfortable night at a nearby cabin or campground. Ichetucknee Springs is another fantastic option, with a variety of campsites to choose from. You’ll find excellent facilities at Wekiwa Springs, or try Ocala National Forest for a more rustic experience. Remember to reserve your campsite well in advance to secure accommodations that meet your preferences.
Entrance Fees and Guidelines
To visit these beautiful parks without breaking the bank, familiarize yourself with the entry fees. For example, Weeki Wachee Springs State Park charges $13 for adults and $8 for children ages 6 to 12, while children under 5 enter for free. Other parks, such as Silver Springs and Gilchrist Blue Springs, have their own fee structures, so do some research before your trip. Don’t forget to review the park guidelines regarding activities, safety, and pet policies.
|Entrance Fee (Adult)
|Entrance Fee (Children)
|Weeki Wachee Springs
One of the best things about exploring state parks near Tampa is the variety of unique experiences you’ll discover:
- Weeki Wachee Springs State Park: Enjoy classic Florida attractions, swim in the crystal-clear waters, and check out the famous mermaid shows.
- Ichetucknee Springs: Board an inflatable tube and float down the river, or snorkel and scuba dive in the crystal clear spring.
- Crystal River: Swim with manatees, take a guided tour, or launch your kayak for an unforgettable adventure.
- Silver Springs: Get on a glass-bottom boat ride and observe the underwater world without getting wet.
- Wekiwa Springs: Paddle along the scenic waterways, take a refreshing swim, or hike miles of naturally preserved terrain.
- Ocala National Forest: Lose yourself in nature’s beauty while hiking, fishing, or exploring various recreational trails.
- Gilchrist Blue Springs: This hidden gem is perfect for snorkeling, kayaking, or picnicking.
Each park offers something unique, so make sure to plan your visits according to your interests and time constraints. Enjoy your adventure in Florida’s natural beauty near Tampa!
Nearby Attractions and Day Trips
Orlando and Gainesville
While exploring springs near Tampa, you can also consider visiting Orlando and Gainesville. Both cities offer plenty of attractions to fill up your day trip itinerary. In Orlando, you can visit theme parks like Disney World and Universal Studios or explore various museums. Gainesville is home to the University of Florida and offers a vibrant downtown area, nature trails, and parks.
Beaches and Homosassa Springs
A day trip from Tampa wouldn’t be complete without spending some time at the beautiful beaches. You can enjoy the warm sands, refreshing water, and beach activities along the Gulf Coast. Also, consider visiting Homosassa Springs to immerse yourself in Florida’s unique natural setting. This area is known for its wildlife park, showcasing Florida’s native wildlife, including manatees, alligators, and various bird species.
Kelly Park and Mermaid Shows
Kelly Park is another great destination to explore near Tampa. This park is home to pristine, natural springs that offer tubing, swimming, and picnicking opportunities. If you’re looking for something a bit more unique, attend a mermaid show at Weeki Wachee Springs State Park. These shows are a uniquely Floridian experience and a fun way to spend a day away from the city.
Don’t forget to:
- Bring your swimwear and sunscreen
- Stay hydrated in the Florida heat
Recap: Best Springs Near Tampa
To wrap it up, folks, the springs in Tampa are like hidden gems amidst the hustle and bustle of the city. They’re your ticket to a refreshing and totally unique escape. With their pristine waters and abundant wildlife, these natural wonders show off the true beauty and diversity of the area. Whether you’re after some peaceful downtime, an exciting adventure, or just a chance to get in touch with nature, Tampa’s springs have got you covered. So, grab your swimsuit, snorkel, and get ready to dive into the amazing experience that awaits you in this awesome corner of Florida. It’s time to explore, relax, and create memories that’ll stick with you forever.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the best springs to visit near Tampa?
If you’re looking to visit some natural springs near Tampa, some of the best options include Lithia Springs, Rainbow Springs, and Alexander Springs. Each spring offers unique experiences and breathtaking beauty for you and your family to enjoy.
Which springs near Tampa offer swimming?
Lithia Springs, located just 30 minutes from Tampa, is an excellent choice for swimming, with cool, fresh spring water filling the swimming area. Rainbow Springs, about 1 hour and 36 minutes away, is also great for swimming and even offers a tubing option.
Can I find any free natural springs close to Tampa?
While there may be some lesser-known natural springs that are free to access, most of the popular springs near Tampa will likely involve a small entrance fee. However, these fees are typically quite affordable and provide for the maintenance and preservation of these natural wonders.
Are there any springs to visit near Clearwater?
Although Clearwater is more known for its beautiful beaches, there are also natural springs nearby that you can explore. Some examples include Chassahowitzka River and Springs, Weeki Wachee Springs, and Homosassa Springs.
Where can I enjoy natural springs in the Tampa area?
To enjoy natural springs in the Tampa area, you can visit Lithia Springs, which is the most accessible spring, located right in Lithia. Other options include Alexander Springs, Weeki Wachee Springs, and Rainbow Springs—all of which offer various amenities and recreational opportunities.
What are some popular springs in Florida near Tampa?
Some popular springs in Florida near Tampa are Lithia Springs, Rainbow Springs, Alexander Springs, Silver Springs, and Weeki Wachee Springs. Each of these springs has its own unique characteristics and recreational opportunities for you to explore and enjoy.